Trying something new in your little world of cakes and baking is an awesome habit, and that is why we are here with this super delicious ginger treacle sponge cake recipe. The cake looks gorgeous and can be incorporated into special events and functions or celebrations. So, how to make this delightful sponge cake? Well, scroll down below as we have put together the complete cake recipe.
- 175 gm softened butter, plus extra for greasing
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- Add 175 gm soft light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp breadcrumb
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ginger syrup from a jar of stem ginger
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Zest 1 lemon
- 175 gm self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
For the Candied Clementine
- 1-2 clementines, unpeeled and thinly sliced
- 200 gm caster sugar
For the Topping
- 100 gm golden syrup
- 6 balls stem ginger chunkily diced, plus 3 tbsp syrup from the ginger jar
Recipe / Instructions
- Butter a one-litre pudding bowl. Blend the breadcrumbs, ginger syrup, and golden syrup and put in the base of the bowl.
- To set up the steamer, put a little, upturned trivet or saucer into a big container sufficiently large to fit the pudding bowl. Put the kettle on.
- In a big container, beat the sugar and butter until creamy and pale. Include the beaten eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla, and filter the flour and ginger into the blend. Mix everything together with a big spoon or spatula. Fill the pudding bowl with the sponge blend.
- Cut out big sheets of greaseproof paper and foil, sufficiently large to fit over the pudding bowl with a 2 in the shade. Sit greaseproof on foil, crease a pleat into the centre, and butter the greaseproof. Put, butter side down, above the pudding, and tie firmly under the edge with string. Sit the pudding bowl in the saucepan, include enough water from the pot to come halfway up the bowl sides, cover with a plate and stew for 1 hour 45 minutes.
- During the stewing process, candy your slices of clementine by pouring 100 ml water from the pot over the sugar in a little skillet. Warmth until softened, and include the clementine slices and bubble until they are sticky and sparkly with sugar. Lift it out and put aside on parchment paper to dry.
- Check the pudding is cooked by inserting a toothpick. There should be no raw blend on the toothpick, but you might see some sticky syrup.
- For the topping, place the syrups in a little skillet and bubble to thicken for a couple of minutes, and mix in a couple of clementine slices and ginger chunks. Turn the pudding out onto a serving plate and spoon over some sweet ginger topping. You can serve it with custard.
So, that was the recipe to prepare a yummilicious ginger treacle sponge cake. You can even use chocolate syrup to top the sponge, and it will turn into something more delicious. Hope you like the recipe and make a yummilicious cake at home. If you can’t bake the cake, order the delicious beauty from an online cake bakery. Happy eating! Happy baking!