If you are a hemp farmer, and your land productivity has been low, one of the questions running through your mind might be, “How do I optimize productivity?” The answer is pretty direct – provide your crops with the right nutrients. To do this, you need to understand nutrient levels on the soil through soil testing. So, here is a closer look at how soil testing works.
Importance of Soil Testing
As a hemp farmer, it is important to understand that hemp is just like other plants, meaning that it requires the right nutrients and environment to thrive. For example, does the soil have the right potassium, nitrogen, phosphorous, and pH? Here are the key reasons why you need soil testing:
- You can establish the deficiencies of your soil.
- It helps you to craft the right fertility management method.
- It makes it possible for you to avoid over-fertilization.
- A sure way to increase your hemp production in the field.
How to Test the Soil on Your Own
Now that you know the benefits of soil analysis, one of the methods you can use is testing the soil on your own. This involves using soil testing kits on your farm. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Get your soil test kit.
- Collect a soil sample from your field.
- Mix the soil sample with distilled water.
- Follow the guide on the kit to test sample. This will involve mixing the sample with the reagents that came with the kit to get color changes.
- Finally, compare the color of the sample with the color chart to establish the level of nutrients and pH.
Notably, using soil test kits can be limiting because not all people have some background in soil science. Furthermore, you can only determine the range of the nutrients and pH as opposed to establishing the specific levels. To get specific nutrient levels and deficiencies, you need to use soil testing laboratories.
Test the Soil Using Third-Party Laboratories
Notably, the soil you use for growing hemp is a complex system of physical, biological, and chemical interactions, and your plant needs it to be well-balanced for optimal production. Because laboratories are run by experts, they will easily test the soil and give accurate results. Other benefits of using third party laboratories for soil testing include:
- They use advanced technologies to test the soil.
- Using expert laboratories means that you are able to get specific levels of nutrients, PH, and other parameters of your soil fertility.
- The experts can help you to craft the right soil management strategy for your land.
- Testing your soil is done fast and results are relayed to you.
Getting Your Soil Tested in a Third Party Lab
To have your soil tested in a lab, you need to start by identifying the preferred lab, and one of the best options is Sante Laboratories. Sante is an accredited testing organization with experts and latest technologies dedicated to helping hemp farmers optimize their production. All you need to have Sante test your soil is getting your soil sample and sending it to them.
Sante Labs has now partnered with Lone Star Overnight (LSO) to help Texas farmers move their samples fast to its laboratories in Houston. So, if you are a farmer in Texas, simply prepare your sample and get it to Lone Star Overnight, and they will ship it to Sante fast for testing.
If you want to be successful in hemp farming, it is paramount to start by understanding the soil by having it tested in an accredited lab. Then, develop the right soil fertility management strategy to ensure your plants have the right nutrients at all stages of growth.